Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Apple Chutney ( Apple Pachadi )

This is a recipe I got from my mother in law.She makes this recipe with raw mangoes and on those days when she makes this,I will be willing to ignore any other side dish in favor of this chutney as I absolutely adore this chutney.It is supposed to be served as a side dish with rice and spicy curry but I find that this works well with roti/Indian flat bread too.

This has a unique taste with a little tang from the fruit itself,sweetness from the jaggery,crunch from the roasted lentil and slight hint of spice from the red chilly.This chutney tastes best when made with raw mangoes,but tastes pretty good when made with apples too and tastes best when made with tart varieties of these fruits.




Click here for a printable view of this recipe

Ingredients and method to make the Apple chutney

1 1/2 cup slightly heaped cut apple pieces (Green Tart variety of apples) ( Apples should be peeled and cored first)
1/2 cup of water to cook these apples
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 cup grated jaggery
1/2 Tbsp rice flour (mixed into 1/3 cup water)

for seasoning
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp split black gram lentil (udad dhal)
1 small dried red chilly broken into little pieces.
1 tsp oil

In a sauce pan put in the apple pieces,the salt,the turmeric powder, half cup of water and cook for about ten to fifteen minutes on low heat until the apples are soft.

Add the jaggery to this and cook furthur,until all the jaggery is melted and the apples are kind of transparent and mushy and the water is mostly evaporated

Add the rice flour into half a cup of water and mix well seeing to it that no lumps are formed and add this to the softened apple mixture.Simmer for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.

Heat the oil,add the mustard seeds,the black gram to it.

When the mustard seeds splutter and the black gram starts turning golden brown,add the dried red chilly and let it turn darker red ( this just takes a few seconds). Add this to the chutney and mix well.

Serve hot or cold

This can be stored in a refrigerator for a couple of days.

Notes
Water can be increased slightly if you want a little more watery consistency for this chutney.

18 comments :

karuna said...

apple chutney looks nice

Sagari said...

chutney with apples ,woww ,nice recipe usha

mitr_bayarea said...

Apple chutney looks a lot like mango chutney, do you suggest using red or green apples.

Usha said...

Thanks Karuna :)

Usha said...

Thanks for dropping by and your comments Sagari ........

Usha said...

Hey Mitr,try making this with green ones,that would be the tastiest or any other tart variety of apples...

Trupti said...

apple chutney is very innovative Usha. I have red apples at home..today I will try this recipe and let you know.

Jaishree Iyer said...

apple chutney looks nice. gud entry.I will try this recipe

Usha said...

Sure Trupti,hope you enjoy it as much as I did....

Usha said...

Hey Myviews,Thanks do let me know when you do try it........

Vaishali said...

Usha, I've never had apple chutney before, and yours sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for visiting my blog- you have a nice blog too and I can't wait to see more recipes from you.

Jan said...

A lovely recipe - looks delish!
I made something similar once and the mustard seed splattered EVERYWHERE lol - they were in my hair on my clothes up the wall..... funny tho!
A great blog you have here btw.

Madhavi said...

Humm lovely chutney recipe, looks delicious!!!

Usha said...

Hi Vaishali,I am glad you got a chance to visit my blog....

Usha said...

Thanks Jan,I agree about the mustard seeds, they do have a tendency to pop all around the place,have you tried using a splatter screen,those work well for me,alternatively I use a deeper vessel so that the seeds are contained within that :)

Usha said...

Thanks Madhavi !

Deepa Kuber said...

sure v will be in touch usha..
i just lovvvved ur apple chutney recipe.. it looks so delicious..

Unknown said...

I was searching for the mango pachadi recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Happy New Year Usha

Related Posts with Thumbnails