Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chickpea and Oat Cutlet / Patties

The health benefits of oats include lowering bad cholesterol,reducing hypertension or high blood pressure, helping in weight control to name just a few.Plain oats are quite versatile and can be included in a variety of dishes.I have been experimenting with using oats in different types of dishes both sweet and savory.This recipe is a spin on the traditional Indian cutlets/patties made with potatoes making it instead with heart healthy ingredients like oats which is a better alternative for those like me that are avoiding empty carbs.The protein and the fiber in this also makes this more satisfying and filling and the use of olive oil to shallow fry this is an additional benefit as olive oil is said to be very beneficial for heart health too.

This cutlet is both tasty and versatile and can be used in a burger,as a side dish,as an appetizer, as a sandwich filling or with ragda. For the skeptics who believe that healthy does not translate to tasty this cutlet will definitely prove otherwise.


Chickpea oat cutlet 5


Click here for a printable view of this recipe

Ingredients and Method to make the cutlets.

1 1/2 cup cooked chickpea
3/4 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup frozen cauliflower
1 1/4 cup of quick cooking plain oats cooked in the microwave in 1 1/4 cup of water
1 cup cream of wheat/ semolina  (rava)
3 tbsp cooked barley
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp chili powder ( or according to taste)
1 tsp ground ginger paste
1 tsp green chili paste (optional)
salt to taste
a little extra virgin olive oil (or any other oil) to shallow fry the patties
a little wheat flour or chick pea flour if required

Mash the cooked chickpea with a potato masher or in a processor until grainy,it does not need to get smooth like hummus.Do not add water to this,if using canned chickpeas be sure to drain out all the liquid.

Cook the frozen peas and cauliflower in the microwave for about 5 to 6 minutes until soft without water

Cook the quick oats in water for a minute in the microwave.

Mix together the mashed chickpea, the cooked vegetables and the oats in a large bowl.

Add the cumin powder,the coriander powder,the salt,the chili powder ,the chili paste,the ground ginger paste,the turmeric powder and mix well.

Add the cream of wheat (rava) and the cooked barley to this and mix well.

If the mixture is too soft and difficult to handle a little wheat flour or chick pea flour to make the mixture a little firmer.

Shape into large balls and flatten (use some all purpose flour or rice flour to aid this process if required ) ( I did not use flour as I was able to form the cutlet without the flour)

Heat a tawa/griddle and place the cutlet on it and cook on medium heat adding a few drops of olive oil to each side.

Serve hot with cilantro/ coriander chutney or use to make veggie burgers or as a filling in a sandwich.

Variations:
Instead of cauliflower you can use mixed vegetables like carrots,beans, potatoes etc too.

Notes

In case you use fresh vegetables instead of frozen remember to add just the required amount of water and to cook until the water evaporates.

In case the mixture feels too soft, place it in a heavy bottomed pan and heat for a few minutes on low heat until all the excess moisture evaporates cool slightly then shape the patties or as I mentioned in the recipe add a little wheat flour or chick pea flour (besan) to the mixture to make it firmer.


This is my entry into the healthy cooking event being hosted by Mansi

This is my entry into Original Recipes monthly event hosted by Lore

22 comments :

Mansi said...

Usha, adding oats to that recipe is a lovely and healthy change indeed! they look beautiful, thanks so much for sending it my way!:)

EC said...

Creative one

Jaishree Iyer said...

Nice recipe... cutlet sounds absolutely delicious.

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

R said...

I absolutely, absolutely love chick-pea cutlets. Never thought of making them with oats. Thanks a lot for the recipe. Will try it out right away!

The tomato basil soup sounds yummy too!
-Rohini

Usha said...

Thanks Mansi......

Julia said...

I love oats, and I am always looking for ways of making veggie patties without eggs. I'll have to give this a go. Cheers!

Usha said...

Thanks EC and Myviews

Usha said...

Thanks for dropping by Sophie,I will check out your blog soon :)

Usha said...

Hey Rohini,Thanks, do let me know when you try it.......

Usha said...

Hi Julia,Thanks for dropping by,I am glad you liked this idea,do let me know when you get a chance to try it:)

Lore said...

I think it's great that you didn't even need to use flour to make them hold together. My savoury tooth was so happy while reading the ingredients list (huge fan of chickpea and cauliflower). YUM! Thanks for participating :)

Usha said...

Thanks for dropping by Lore,I am looking forward to the roundup :)

Sumathi said...

Hi Usha... Thanks .. did try your version of oats.. turned out well and is more healthy also.. tks for ur recpie.

Myvegfare said...

My God! 14 recipes with oats, how do think of using oats in everything, you are really queen of oats cooking, great ideas, very inspirational!, i must try one by one!...

Mahek said...

hi
Thanks for such a incredible recipe...
I am always on a lookout for recipes which will make a healthy tiffin for my son , and your blog is always an inspiration so thanks....

s said...

this is a sure winner

GKB said...

Hi
I was going to make this as a meat ball substitute.I was wondering if I could bake them instead of shallow frying them.If so how should I do it?

Usha said...

Sumathi, I am glad you tried and liked this !

Jayasri, thanks for dropping by and for your comments. Do let me know when you try these recipes!

Usha said...

Thanks so much, Mahek and S, hope to see you both here more often !

Usha said...

Hi GKB, if you wanted to bake them, then I think you could probably bake at 400 deg F for about 15 to 25 minutes depending on how big you make each ball, I think it may work!

I tried something like that with this falafel and it worked well..
http://www.veginspirations.com/2009/03/baked-falafel.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails