Sunday, November 23, 2008

Mini Pepper Chutney

On my last trip to Trader Joes I saw these really pretty mini peppers that just called out to me to pick it up. So I did, with no specific plan on any dish to use it in.On the day when I was planning to make the sago dosai I wanted to try some new type of chutney and instantly these pretty peppers came to mind. I decided to use them in the chutney.

Since I was running low on time I did not try to find a new recipe for this chutney but just went on to make them with ingredients I like, and some that I try to sneak in because they are healthy.This chutney turned out very very mild and was not very spicy at all, so for those of you who like spicy chutneys you may want to increase the spice level in this. Also for those of you who are not able to get mini peppers this chutney would work just as well with any other type of bell pepper (capsicum).The texture of this chutney was nice and I thought it would have worked equally well as a dip for pita chips or for raw veggies.





Ingredients and method to make mini pepper chutney

1 yellow onion
4 tsp brown sesame seeds
4 tsp raw peanuts
3 red chillies
1 cup mini peppers cut into long strips (or equal amount of any bell pepper/capsicum)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 very small piece tamarind (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil or any other oil
salt to taste

Dry roast raw peanuts and keep aside

Dry roast sesame and keep aside

Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add mustard seeds to it,when the mustard seeds splutter add onions and saute for a few minutes until the onions become transparent.

Add red chillies to this and saute for a  minute or so.

Add the sliced mini peppers and saute until the peppers are cooked. 

cool this completely and grind along with the peanuts and sesame until smooth with very little water in a blender.

Add salt to taste and mix well.

Serve with raw veggies, pita chips or dosai/idli or even rotis.

This is my entry into the Culinarty original recipe event being hosted by Lore


This is my entry into Vegan Ventures Round 2 being hosted by Suganya

Related Recipes

38 comments :

anudivya said...

Cute peppers! I made them too quite some time back, but with those slightly longer colores peppers (which are in my profile pic)
Looks very nice.

Gita Jaishankar said...

This a great idea. I too tasted mini peppers recently and loved its sweet taste. A must try recipe :)

Laavanya said...

Peppers look awesome Usha and i'm drooling at the chutney.. :)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

chutney looks inviting Usha..nice try.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Those peppers are beauties and I love this chutney for everyreason - made out these cute ones and the color...

Unknown said...

wow this chutney looks so creamy and nice.The peppers look beautiful.

Cham said...

The red one is Fresno pepper is little spicy than the other color ,I made the Andra red chili pickle.
Looks good this chutney

Jaishree Iyer said...

Cute peppers!chutney looks awesome:)

Pragyan said...

This is a great idea..what a lovely color!

CurryLeaf said...

Creamy and nice.I agree with pearlsofeast

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

The pepper looks very pretty. Chutney looks nice and tempting.

Andhra Flavors said...

chutney looks temting. that chilly picture came out well.

Unknown said...

wow... thxs for sharing.. nice entry..

Finla said...

Wow the chutney looks really yumm.

Malar Gandhi said...

Thanks for the support and standing by me, dear. I will never forget your gesture. Peppers look very pretty.

karuna said...

the pepper chutney sure looks nice and hot

Varsha Vipins said...

lovely texture Usha..:)
Thanx for dropping by ma blog..:)..hope to see u more there..:)

Sagari said...

never tried chutney with those peppers , looks very good

Madhoo.S.Gargya said...

Thanks a lot Usha for stopping by my blog and u have a great blog with very good healthy dishes.....I was particularly interested in all the bread/cookie recipes without the use of eggs.

Lisa Turner said...

I adore chutneys and am always on the lookout for new ideas. This sounds fantastic!

deepu said...

My toddler has recently taken a liking to chutney sandwiches, so this one is definitely going in the list. Nice recipe and very healthy too. Also thanks for visiting my blog, which made me discover yours.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by. you have such a cool blog and real neat recipes. This is my first time here. I will add u to my links.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by. you have such a cool blog and real neat recipes. This is my first time here. I will add u to my links.

raaji said...

I never tried anything with those mini peppers.....next time will those.....

Vibaas said...

Those peppers look really cute. Is it very spicy?

Recipeswap said...

Nice chutney,will try it soon.

Anonymous said...

First time here. You have nice collection of recipes. Thanks for your lovely comments.

Unknown said...

gosh that looks hot and spicy..good one..very tempting..tickling my taste buds early in the morning..

Uma said...

those are some cute peppers Usha! Chutney is a great idea. Looks so delicious and spicy.

vidhas said...

Looks so nice. Nice recipe

Raks said...

very new to me and really looks lovely! On I will surely try usha!

Shella said...

thats looks really good and spicy....the colour is awesome

SMN said...

never had this before.. looks nice

Chandani said...

my aunt makes pepper chutney which is similar to this, so delicious!!

Purva Desai said...

What a creative way of using peppers...chutney looks delicious...

aTxVegn said...

What a great way to use the little peppers. They made a lovely color chutney.

Anonymous said...

Thats a really innovative recipe! The pepper look amazing in the snap.

Ana Powell said...

Hi Usha
Many thanks for your visit.
Wonderful Blog you have here, so many great recipes.
What a great source of inspiration.
I kept your contact to come back for more.
Keep up the good work x

Related Posts with Thumbnails