Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sweet Potato Roti (Indian Flat Bread with Sweet Potatoes)


Sweet Potatoes are some of the most nutritious vegetables and have been found to have significant anti oxidant properties.This is also an excellent source of  vitamin A in the form of beta carotene, good source of vitamin C, manganese, good source of copper, dietary fiber, iron and potassium.Since sweet potatoes are very rich in beta carotene and vitamin C and vitamin B complex, they are also excellent immunity boosters.Sweet Potatoes are also said to be beneficial in stabilizing blood sugar levels.

Ever since I read about these health benefits of sweet potato I have been trying to include this vegetable in my weekly menu. Unfortunately R is not too fond of this vegetable and does not like the sweetness of it, so I have been on a mission to try and disguise it in as many ways as possible and sneak it into our diet. This sweet potato roti is one such successful method to sneak in this vegetable into our diet. In fact this was such a successful disguise that R was not even able to detect that the roti's he had been relishing actually had sweet potatoes in them.The signature sweetness of the sweet potato is not very  obvious in this dish. At the same time the roti's turned out very soft and tasted very nice. In fact R actually asked me to make more of them, giving it his seal of approval in addition to mine :-)

Photobucket



Ingredients and Method to make Sweet Potato Roti

2 small sweet potatoes peeled cubed cooked and mashed (yielded about 2/3 cup of mashed sweet potato)
2 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or according to taste)
1/8 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
2 tsp oil.
Additional flour for dusting.
A few drops of oil or ghee (optional)

Place the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes in a microwave safe dish and cook on high in the microwave for a couple of minutes or until soft. Mix the sweet potatoes once or twice while it is getting cooked.

Cool slightly and mash until soft and pulpy and keep aside.

In a large bowl mix together whole wheat flour and all other spices and salt.

Add the mashed sweet potatoes to this and knead into a soft dough.

Add oil and continue to knead until the dough is soft and not sticky. There is no need to add water as the mashed sweet potatoes has enough moisture to  make the dough. If required add more flour or a few drops of water to get the consistency required ( I did not need either flour or water additionally with these proportions the dough came out correctly)

Keep the dough covered for at least 30 minutes.
The copyright of this content belongs to Veginspirations.com 
 
Divide the dough into even lemon sized balls. Using flour for dusting roll them out evenly as thin as you like.

Heat a griddle/ flat pan  and place the rolled out dough  and cook for a few minutes till it small spots begin to appear and then flip it over and cook the other side too until brown little spots appear on the other side.

37 comments :

Priyanka said...

Usha, thats a great recipe- am bookmarking it

Sumathi said...

Usha.. nice one..

Ashwini said...

Nice one .. Will Surely try..

Archy said...

Hey, nice idea of using sweet potato !! need to try !! Dey look yum !!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

i have been seeing this roti in a few blogs off late. i would want to try it tooo.. looks yummy. i love sweet potato. tastes yummy when made as a side for rice.

Deepa Hari said...

Rotis stuffed with sweet potatoes sounds great...Nice recipe Usha.

Sunshinemom said...

I made this too from a magazine, but I see that yours is a savoury version. Mine was sweet. Good one, Usha!

Anonymous said...

Usha,jus seen the same rotis in some other blog..anyways,no doubt that its a nutritious roti that can be eaten happily by kids too..I think thats the relevance of this roti compared with any others.

Sharmila said...

Hey Usha .. this is a great idea! We do make sweets from the sweet potato .. but making rotis with it is so new to me. :-)
Am trying this.

CurryLeaf said...

Love this .I made bread rolls out of sweet potato,never thought of using them in a indian bread :)

Vidhya said...

Hi Usha, happy New Year. Sorry, couldn't visit buddy bloggers for long time.

Sweet potato in a roti is really new to me. Looks like a yummy recipe. Will try it soon..

Unknown said...

looks yummy..love it..I make this for my son..have one in my blog..

Amy said...

Wow! I love making my own flatbreads and my whole family loves sweet potato! I can't wait to give these a try, they look and sound fabulous!

Shama Nagarajan said...

really yummy delicious new dish...do check this link http://myhandicraftscollection.blogspot.com/2009/01/paper-clock.html.pass ur suggestions

Chitra said...

Thats a lovely recipe.we did it once:) it was very good on the second day too. we refrigerated the dough.Do check out mine at ur free time:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Usha ..
This recipe is completely new to me ...nice yaar ...will try it out one day ..

Laavanya said...

My husband's the same way.. doesn't like the sweetness of this veggie. I've tried rotis with this too and could pass it over with no problem :)

Cham said...

Anything sweet, both of us are a mile away! We didn't like the sweetness of this veggie too! I should have a spicy and sweet flavor ur roti!

Finla said...

I love this, it is ages ago i had them. I think it must have been before i got married and that would make it atleast 18 years ago.

Varsha Vipins said...

lovely lovely..n Oh I thought sweet potato will cause blood sugar to rise..Thanks for the dtails Usha..:)

Lore said...

Looks delicious!

AnuSriram said...

Thats a wonderful idea! Will give it a try. Looks delicious!

LifenSpice said...

Hi Usha, believe it or not, i bought sweet potatoes to make this roti and now i see this here:) adding spices is a good idea..will give it a try:)

Uma said...

I was little hesitant to try sweet potatoes in parota for their sweet flavor! But your recipe is tempting me to try it once. Looks so mouth-watering Usha.

anudivya said...

How on earth did I miss this... never made this before... I am having ideas for a naan now.. :)

Gita Jaishankar said...

Very creative recipe Usha, the rotis look perfect :)

Dershana said...

Hi dear, am back :-) adding sweet potatoes into rotis is such a cool idea! Happy New Year to all at home.

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

long time no see...so i stopped by to say hi...:)

Vaishali said...

Usha, this is a wonderful recipe. Thanks for posting it!
I usually stuff the sweet potato into the paratha, much like aloo paratha, but mixing it into the flour is a great idea.

Deepthi Shankar said...

I have never tried this, looks interesting.

Alexa said...

This looks divine to me, Usha! I wonder if I could make it with my gluten free blend and get such excellent results. I will have to try it soon. Thanks for inspiring me!

Red Chillies said...

Ah, how I love it when we trick our husbands. That is one of my favorite moments. Totally new idea to me and gotta try it.

Indian Khana said...

This is real gud...something new for me...thanks for sharing...Wish you n family Happy Pongal/Sankranti

Trupti said...

Roti looks very delicious Usha. I only tried sweet version. Next time I will try this version

Anonymous said...

This is such a fantastic creative recipe! I make parathas with all things under the sky & never thot of sweet potato! Thank u so much for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Anything with sweet potato in it is a done deal for me. This looks crazy delicious!

Cynthia said...

This has got to be my favourite stuffed parathas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails